Ashbourne Road, Turnditch
Derbyshire, DE56 2LH
01773 550263
Header Center
Bodymain Right

Local Area

Turnditch is a hillside village that lies on the A517 Belper to Ashbourne road on its steep climb out of the Ecclesbourne valley.  Before it was turnpiked in 1764 this road, the A517, which crosses the Ecclesbourne at the foot of the hill below the Cross Keys pub, was a track through the Duffield Firth, a former Royal hunting forest which consisted of dense woodland in places interspersed with stretches of sweeping open countryside where most of the farms now sit.
 
Turnditch has a church and a school that face each other, a shop called the Turnditch and Windley Stores and a Post Office. There is also a village hall, which acts as the social centre for both villages.
 
The long, low aisles Turnditch Church of All Saints was built in the 13th century as a chapel of ease to Duffield and to serve forest officials and the few other inhabitants in that part of the forest. It has been enlarged over the years, most notably by Giles and Brookhouse of Derby, in 1882-84 when they gave it a new chancel. The date 1630, cut into a massive stone lintel above a door on the south side presumably commemorates an earlier extension.
 
Local Attractions
 
Belper River Gardens – 5 Miles

Kedleston Hall – 6 Miles
 
Carsington Water, Carsington – 8 Miles
Denby Pottery Visitors Centre – 8 Miles
Wirksworth Heritage Centre – 8 Miles
Derby Cathedral – 9 Miles
Heights of Abraham, Matlock Bath – 12 Miles
Ilam Country Park, Ilam, near Ashbourne – 12 Miles
Shipley Country Park, Heanor – 14 Miles
Alton Towers
Gulliver’s Kingdom
Ashbourne
Peak District National Park

Our Other Pubs